Saturday, August 18, 2012

Beef Brisket

I have always loved trying and tasting different cuisines and ways of cooking. It has always intrigued me how the same ingredient is cooked in multiple ways depending on which part of the world you come from. The same food which is a delicacy for some becomes a taboo for the rest. For me however food is food and I have enjoyed trying out various recipes with beef.
                      As a little girl I would accompany my dad to the market and wondered how he managed to chose good meat every time. As I grew up I began reading more about it and learned that each part of the animal is divided and the cooking time and taste varies based on the cut of the meat.
                      One evening on our way to the meat store my husband and myself felt a little adventurous and decided we should try making beef brisket at home instead of having to eat it at restaurants every time. We went and luckily for us we had a lovely 4 pound piece waiting just for us. We picked it up and there started our adventure. 

After the first formalities of cleaning the meat and wiping it dry, my husband and me just stood and stared as to what we should do next. I decided that we should rub the meat with oil after forking it for a while and letting the oil penetrate into the meat. This helps the meat retain the moisture. We then decided to make a rub which would add flavor to the meat. I was also particular to get a crust on the meat since each time I had beef brisket at my favorite restaurant it had the same delicious crust.

Ingredients:
2 teaspoon chilli powder
4 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoon onion powder 
5 teaspoon white sugar 
1 tablespoon cayenne powder
5 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoon black pepper powder
2 tablespoon salt or as required
1 packet webers chipotle marinade mix (optional)

Mix the above ingredients in a bowl and rub it on the brisket which has already been rubbed with oil and let it marinate for a few hours.(it is best marinated over night) 

                       The brisket is a very tough cut of meat and needs to be cooked on slow fire for a long time. Keeping this in mind and reading all bout the long cooking hours I decided to make best use of my slow cooker. I cooked the meat over night in the slow cooker for 10 hours. After the long hours of slow cooking since I was particularly interested in the crust, I broiled the cooked brisket without the soup in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes.



Make thin slices and you can use them to make sandwiches, in pita pockets and even just chomping on a few pieces is simply delicious..






                   

No comments:

Post a Comment