Sunday, March 13, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

    
A couple of days ago I was asked to make a strawberry shortcake and I was so taken up with it and was taken back in a flash to the days when I was just as old as the little girl who was celebrating her birthday.             
                   Ask a little girl her favourite flavor and most often she will reply that it is strawberry. Sitting back and thinking I remember each time my dad asked my choice of ice cream on every weekend when he took us out and pat came the answer," Dad can I get strawberry". As I grew up my fascination hasnt decreased I had names like strawberry blush and I would think that this is a passing phase but to date its still my favorite be it the fruit or just anything strawberry.
                 Having worked with all kinds of frostings I was asked to make a whipped cream frosting and was wondering how to manage it since it is not one of the more stiff and friendly ones to work with. Not possesing the traits of an artist I was wondering how to go about making my cake and asked my husband what he thought was a perfect strawberry short cake. He replied, "something to do with strawberries I guess"
Well I thought that was a smart idea and just decided I need to do something different and came up with the idea of a royal icing transfer since my freehand drawing isnt great.
I took the picture that you see on the left and was wondering gosh can I actually do something like this. I started and realised that it took me 3 hours and this excludes the total drying time of 3 days. I was so happy with the end result that i thought it was worth the trouble. After outlining the whole picture in black icing I used royal icing to fill it in. It does sound just so simple until I got down to doing it. But as is my policy I never give up and thats how I completed it and there goes my strawberry shortcake  for you.

1 comment: