Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Leg of Lamb Roast...Do it my way

As I grew up my siblings and I loved having BBQ parties and trying our hand at roasting different meats. As I was doing my daily grocery I came to the meat section and suddenly thought to myself..why not try my hand at roasting the leg of a lamb. I put together what I thought would give me the best roasted lamb leg ever. Since it was a herculean task to handle such a huge piece of meat I needed my husband to help me with it and we decided that we will try it on the weekend.


 Ingredients:
  • 4-5 lbs lamb leg

  • whole spices- 1 pc cinamon, 5cloves, 5cardamom, 8 pepper
  • crushed chillie-1table spoon
  • fennel seeds-3/4 tablespoon
  • star anise 2
  • oregano-1 tsp
  • 5 whole garlic pips-crushed
  • paprika-1tsp
  • juice of 1 lemon
Marinade
  • 1 cup whole milk yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
  • 3 Tbsp ketch up
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 3/4 tsp corriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
  • 1 Tbsp Tandoori powder

 Method:
  • Wash the meat and wipe it with a paper towel to dry the meat.
  • Make cuts on the meat so that the meat is well marinated.  
  • Use Shaan meat tenderizer and rub it on the meat. 
  • After a while use a mortar and pestle and crush the whole spices along with the garlic and the paprika and smear it on the meat. Keep for a while and apply lemon juice or vinegar and let it stay for some.


                 
  • Make the marinade by beating up the yogurt for 2 minutes to get rid of the lumps. 
  • Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. 
  • Double the quantity if you like the meat to be well covered with the marinade. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator. 
  • Add salt 2 hours before baking. Keep the meat out of the fridge 2 hours before marinating wrap the meat in silver foil and bake at 350 F for 3 hours.

Carefully slice the lamb roast into thin slices and serve as desired. The soup can be poured over the meat to give it a moist soup flavor. Serve the slices while they are hot.


Bon Appetit !

No comments:

Post a Comment